NextGen
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What side will you join? The choice is yours.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please be patient as we try to recreate hpnextgen to the best standard that we can. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM Gwen DeArbour, Evelyn DeArbour or Thomas Riddle

Lesson 1: Boot Camp

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Sarith Kendrick

Sarith Kendrick

Lesson 1: Boot Camp Empty
PostSubject: Lesson 1: Boot Camp   Lesson 1: Boot Camp EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 7:03 am

Sarith stood at the front of the room, looking at the number of students that were present. He wasn't surprised on the small turnout but given that his predecessor had left a reputation upon the subject, it was something that couldn't be helped.

"Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen." Sarith greeted. "I am Professor Sarith Kendrick and I will be teaching History of Magic. Now I'm sure that many of you are assuming that I might be more boring than Cuthbert Binns but I'll try not to be. While you are in here, I expect you all to pay attention and take down notes on the material that I'll be lecturing on. History of Magic is a subject with a shady deposition in regards to telling the truth so keep an open mind rather than blindly accepting the written facts."

"The syllabus is self-explanatory. Three classes where attendance and participation will be 30% of your grade. Two homework assignments that will make 20% of your grade. You will have a simple project, which is worth the remaining 50% of your grade and will consist of a two hundred word essay over a historical event of your own choosing." Sarith spoke.

Clearing his throat, Sarith then added. "Take a sheet of parchment out and answer these questions on the board. Turn them in and you are free to go. If you have any questions, write them down at the bottom of the page after your answers to the questions or on the back. Also, by next class, I want all of you to have a final decision on what historical event that you have selected for your project."

Pointing at the blackboard with his wand, Sarith had multiple pieces of chalk write a number of questions on the board.

QUESTIONS

1) What is History of Magic and what importance is there to the subject?

2) Explain your interpretation of the phrase "History is written by the victors."

3) How accurate do you think your history textbook is and why?

Back to top Go down
Ian MacAllister

Ian MacAllister

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 1: Boot Camp   Lesson 1: Boot Camp EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 3:52 am

Ian had a slight pep in his step as he walked down to the first floor from the Ravenclaw Common Room. He was actually really excited about getting back into the swing of things and going back to school. It was his inner nerd calling to be let out after a Winter Break full of debauchery and other mindless activities. He made his way down to the first floor for History of Magic and took a seat in the third row of seats. He sat back and watched the professor as he introduced himself and started talking about the course.

'Hm he's kind of young to be a History buff' Ian mused to himself as the man explained their assignment for the day. He chewed on his bottom lip as he thought about the questions and tried to formulate articulate answers.

1.) History of Magic is more than just the study of events in the past. It's more a culmination of the ideas, motivations, and people behind all of those actions. Understanding a historic event in full is a key component in keeping something undesired from happening.

2.) There are two sides to every story, and in most cases the winner of a war stomps out the opposition so it's only their side of the story that get recorded down in the history books.

3.) Without having been there myself to witness the events I can't be one hundred percent sure of the accuracy of the book. I think of the book more as a specific interpretation of history and not a tell-all guide.

Ian finished his answers and stood up to hand the parchment to the professor. He smiled at him as he passed the paper to the man.
Back to top Go down
Patrick Wood

Patrick Wood

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 1: Boot Camp   Lesson 1: Boot Camp EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 5:48 pm

Patrick walked into the class and grinned when he saw who else was there. Sitting down next to Ian, he simply tapped his best friend on the shoulder before paying attention to the professor.

Well seems better than Binns, he thought with a relief. He really did enjoy History so he didn't want a boring teacher for his last year. Looking at the parchment, he thought about the questions.

1)History of Magic is the study of the deeds of past witches and wizards which have proven important to our day-to-day activities. It is important to know ones history to keep it from repeating in the future.

2) The winners in History control what future generations get to learn about said events. The losing side tends to be portrayed as horrible and cruel while the winners are seen as heroes.

3) If one uses the mindset of History is written by the victors, then I would say that my text book is not very accurate. The events were written about by people who were victorious in their pursuits.

Satisfied with his answers, Patrick got up and handed his parchment to the professor.
Back to top Go down
Isabella Taylor

Isabella Taylor

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 1: Boot Camp   Lesson 1: Boot Camp EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 4:48 am

Isabella strolled into the classroom slowly, glad she wasn't late as in all her other classes. She took a sheet, as directed, and sat down, concentrating on the task at hand.

1) What is History of Magic and what importance is there to the subject?

History of Magic is pretty self-explanatory, it is an account of the history of all magics, including other magical creatures, the history of witches and wizards, and clashes between them. The subject is important so we can learn form history's mistakes, so we can understand the cultures of other magical beings to promote future peace and tranquility between races, and so we don't appear stupid while talking of the subject.

2) Explain your interpretation of the phrase "History is written by the victors."
I believe it means that history is always tweaked by the winners of the wars we have, often making themselves sound stronger, smarter, braver, and overall more valiant. The victors also usually make the opposition sound weak, cowardly, stupid, and overall a race of degenerates.

3) How accurate do you think your history textbook is and why?
As the phrase from the previous question goes, "History is written by the victors." They will change history as they please, sometimes burning away all the evidence of otherwise. Yet, there is always the exception to the rule, and in myth and legend, there is always a strand of truth.

She was pleased with her answers, so she checked through them for mistakes, and took the paper up to Mr. Kendrick's desk. She placed in in the pile with the other papers, walked back down to her chair, and sat down.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 1: Boot Camp   Lesson 1: Boot Camp Empty

Back to top Go down

Lesson 1: Boot Camp
Page 1 of 1